UC Davis Medical Center
Nurse Practitioner – Anesthesiology Pediatric Clinic
Salary Range: $70.73 – $93.34 Hourly
Final Filing Date: 09/30/2020
- In a highly independent role, the APC nurse practitioner will be responsible for the optimization of medically complex pediatric patients prior to elective OR and Non-OR anesthesia.
- Day-to-day operation includes coordination with UC Davis specialties, outside specialty consultants and surgical teams to ensure appropriate perioperative planning for pediatric patients. In particular, the nurse practitioner will have extensive communication with cardiology, pulmonology, endocrinology and nephrology subspecialties regarding pre-anesthesia planning for patients directly referred to APC by surgical clinics for optimization.
- The nurse practitioner will provide guidance to the registered nurses who provide screening for less complex patients.
- Patients will be evaluated and optimized by the nurse practitioner through scheduled phone, video, and a subset of in-person consultation appointments. The nurse practitioner will identify and address outstanding needs including, but not limited to cardiac evaluation, sleep studies, laboratory evaluation and perioperative medication planning prior to anesthesia.
- Under the direction of the Medical Director (Anesthesiologist) and working with IT, the nurse practitioner will utilize and continue to expand upon an Epic-based pre-anesthesia risk triage system in order to better identify high-risk and complex patients for optimization.
- In multi-disciplinary collaboration with the Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology, UC Davis Children’s Hospital sub-specialties and the Medical Director of the APC, the selected nurse practitioner will also continue to develop guidelines for perioperative management of complex patients based on the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Society for Pediatric Anesthesia recommendations and current literature. She/he will maintain the database of resources and APC guidelines available to hospital staff for reference, providing updates when applicable.
- In addition to the above responsibilities, the nurse practitioner will collaborate with the Medical Director and the Executive Director of Perioperative Services on process improvements for APC and the optimization of perioperative patient care.
Special Note: During the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, the nurse practitioner will be responsible for the ordering and scheduling of COVID-19 testing for all non-OR pediatric anesthesia patients prior to their date of service.
- At least one year NP experience.
- Graduation with a Master’s degree, DNP or PhD in Nursing from an accredited School of Nursing.
- Possession of valid California RN and Nurse Practitioner license.
- Furnishing license
- DEA Certification within 3 months of hire
- Pediatric or FNP National Board Certified
- Current American Heart Association CPR, BLS and ACLS
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Knowledge of current trends in nursing.
- Commitment to excellence in patient care.
- Effective interpersonal skills. -Demonstrates accountability and professionalism.
- Adapts to change in a positive, professional and productive manner.
- Knowledge of legal implications in clinical practice and documentation.
- Knowledge of performance improvement and evidence-based practice.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to work flexible/variable hours
- Able to lift 25 pounds
- Ability to meet minimum standards for hospital credentialing and billing standards as a billable provider
- THIS POSITION MAY BE SUBJECT TO A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, DRUG SCREEN, LIVE SCAN FINGERPRINTING, MEDICAL EVALUATION CLEARANCE, AND FUNCTIONAL CAPACITY ASSESSMENT
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
Job ID # 9963
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer